Saturday, December 29, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup with Dill
















I have found my own way to make this (slight difference in amounts and fresh versus dried only because I can never find the fresh). You can find the original recipe here, but this is how I make it.

Chicken Noodle Soup with Dill

6 cups chicken broth
3 medium carrots, diced
1-2 large stalks celery, diced
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
2 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste

Bring broth to a boil in a large pot. Add carrots, celery, ginger and garlic; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.

Add noodles and chicken; simmer until the noodles are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in dill and lemon juice.

My Cooking Tips

For the chicken broth, I use bouillon cubes. The kind I get, it is two cups water to one bouillon cube, so three cubes and six cups water for this recipe. The cubes dissolve as the water temperature goes up. Once boiling, then start adding the other ingredients.

I like to make sure I have plenty of carrots - yum!

When "measuring" the chicken, I just kind of eyeball it. As long as it's close. We generally cook two chicken breasts (they're from Costco so they're a good size) and this seems to be enough. I also eye the noodles. I look at how many ounces the bag of noodles is and put in what I think is 4 oz. But if it looks like it needs more or less, I adjust. Really, this is my theory with all the ingredients, but the above amounts are what I have found to work.

This chicken noodle soup tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment